If you own a BMW X5, then chances are you want to know how to remotely start it with your key. Remote starting is not only convenient but also helps in warming up the engine before driving and cooling down the car’s interior during hot weather.
In this article, we will take you through simple steps on how to remote start your BMW X5 without having to touch your car keys physically. You don’t have to be tech-savvy to follow these steps; all you need is a key fob and some basic knowledge of your BMW X5’s functions.
“The remote start feature is essential for every driver who wants to enjoy the luxury of their vehicle. With the right instructions, learning how to do it yourself at home can save you time and money.”
We understand that different people have varying needs when it comes to remote starting their vehicles. That’s why we have come up with a comprehensive guide to cater to everyone’s preferences. Whether you’re using an Android or iOS device, or whether you’re facing challenges while manually pressing buttons on your fob, we have got you covered.
Read on and discover how easy it is to remote start your BMW X5 without breaking a sweat!
Understand the Key Fob
What is a Key Fob?
A key fob, also known as a remote or smart key, is an electronic device that enables you to lock and unlock your car remotely. It usually comes with features like panic buttons, trunk release, and even engine start/stop function.
How Does a Key Fob Work?
The key fob operates on radio frequency (RF) technology and emits a signal which communicates with the vehicle’s onboard computer system. The vehicle’s computer then responds by performing the desired action. For instance, when you press the lock button, it sends an RF signal to the car receiver, which locks all doors instantly. Similarly, pressing the unlock button triggers the receiver to open the doors.
Components of a Key Fob
A typical key fob has three main components- the battery, circuit board, and transmitter/receiver. The battery provides power to the circuit board, which contains the software programmed to transmit signals via the transmitter/receiver module. In more sophisticated models, there may be additional features like LCD screens or touchscreens.
Types of Key Fobs
Key fobs for different vehicles vary in design, functionality, and programming methods. Generally, they can be classified into two types:
- Aftermarket key fobs: These are generic remotes used to replace lost/damaged original fobs or add new functions like starting the car from a distance. They require manual synchronization with the vehicle and may not access all advanced features available in the original ones.
- OEM key fobs: These are manufacturer-made fobs installed at the factory and come pre-synced with the vehicle computer. They provide full access to all features and programmable functions specific to that make/model.
It is essential to use an OEM key fob for your BMW X5, or else you may face sync issues or lose advanced functionality.
“An original equipment manufacturer (OEM) part is a component made by the carmaker or under its license, without relying on third-party manufacturers.” -Motor Trend
Check the Compatibility of Your BMW X5
If you are a proud owner of a BMW X5 and want to start your car remotely using your key, it’s important to check for compatibility before buying any new devices. There are a few things you can do to make sure that remote starting will work correctly with your vehicle.
BMW X5 Model Years that Support Remote Start
The ability to start your BMW X5 remotely varies depending on the model year. The following model years support remote start:
- 2014-2020 BMW X5
- 2018-2020 BMW X5 M
- 2020 BMW X5 xDrive45e iPerformance
If you have an older vehicle or one not listed above, your car may not support this feature.
Check Your BMW X5 VIN for Compatibility
You should also check if your BMW X5 has been specifically equipped with the optional remote start feature. This can be done by checking your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on BMW’s official website. Go to the “Owners” section and enter your VIN number in the appropriate field – it will then show whether the option is available for your particular vehicle.
Note that even if remote start is an optional feature, it may still require additional hardware such as special keys and wiring harnesses installed by your dealer or mechanic.
Identify the Key Fob Type Compatible with Your BMW X5
Finally, it’s important to verify which key fobs are compatible with remote starting your BMW X5. Each model has its own unique fob type that works with the remote start feature. For instance, newer models like the 2020 BMW X5 might require a newer generation key fob than the 2014 model.
“Always consult your local dealer or authorized service center if you have any questions regarding compatibility.”
If you are considering remote start for your BMW X5, make sure to check its supported year models, verify whether it has the optional feature installed, and identify which key fobs are compatible with your vehicle. This will ensure that you purchase equipment that works seamlessly with your car and keeps you conveniently on-the-go!
Programming the Key Fob for Remote Start
If you own a BMW X5, there’s a good chance that your vehicle is equipped with remote start technology. This feature allows drivers to start their cars remotely and cool or warm the interior before getting in. Not only does this increase comfort during extreme weather conditions, but it can also save time and make life more convenient.
Identify the Programming Procedure for Your BMW X5 Model Year
The first step to programming your key fob for remote start is to identify the correct procedure for your specific BMW X5 model year. While the process may be similar across different models, each year may have its own unique steps that need to be followed.
To find the right programming instructions, refer to your car’s owner’s manual or search online for resources related to your specific year of BMW X5.
Required Tools and Equipment for Programming
Before attempting to program your key fob, ensure that you have all the required tools and equipment. You’ll need:
- A functioning key fob for your BMW X5
- The ignition key for your car
- A laptop connected to the internet (optional)
Note: Some programming procedures may require additional tools, such as specialized software or diagnostic devices. Be sure to consult your owner’s manual or a reputable mechanic if you’re unsure about what’s needed.
“Remote starters are hugely popular among Canadian consumers”_Francine Kopun, Toronto Star/
Now that you’ve identified the correct programming procedure and gathered the necessary tools and equipment, it’s time to begin programming your key fob for remote start. While these steps may differ depending on the year of your BMW X5, the general process typically involves the following:
- Sit in the driver’s seat of your car and shut all doors.
- Insert the ignition key and turn it to the “on” position (do not start the engine).
- Press and hold the “unlock” button on your working key fob for several seconds until you hear a beep or see the lights flash.
- Within 30 seconds of hearing the beep, press and hold the “lock” button on the same key fob for at least two seconds. You should hear another beep or see the lights flash again to indicate that programming was successful.
- If you have additional key fobs, repeat the above steps with each one within 30 seconds of finishing the last one.
- Turn the ignition off and remove the key. Test each remote starter to ensure they work properly.
Programming the key fob for remote start in your BMW X5 can provide added convenience during the harsher weather conditions. Knowing how to program it yourself can save expenditure from hiring someone else to do the job. Follow the procedure specific to your vehicle’s year and make sure you are properly equipped before you begin!
Activating the Remote Start feature on BMW X5
The BMW X5 is a luxury SUV that comes equipped with advanced features. One such feature is the Remote Start, which allows you to start your car from a distance using only your key fob or smartphone app.
How to Activate Remote Start on BMW X5
Before activating the Remote Start feature on BMW X5, make sure your car is properly secured and in Park mode. To activate the Remote Start feature:
- Press the lock button on your key fob twice.
- Within three seconds of pressing the lock button, press and hold the engine start button for at least two seconds.
- Your car will start remotely if the procedure is successful.
Note: If there is a malfunction in the vehicle’s security system, the Remote Start may be disabled until it has been resolved.
Configuring Remote Start Settings on BMW X5
You can configure various settings related to the Remote Start feature through the iDrive menu system in BMW X5. Here are some settings you can tweak:
- Duration: You can set how long the engine runs during Remote Start before turning off automatically. This duration can range from 10 to 30 minutes.
- Air conditioning/heating: You can also configure whether the air conditioning or heating turns on automatically during Remote Start based on the temperature outside.
- Safety/security: Additionally, you can turn on certain safety and security measures during Remote Start, such as disabling the steering wheel or gear selector unless the driver’s seat belt is buckled.
To access the Remote Start settings from your BMW X5:
- Go to the main menu and select “Settings”.
- Select “Vehicle Settings” and then “Remote Control”.
- You can now tweak various Remote Start settings based on your preferences.
Using the Remote Start Feature on Your BMW X5
The Remote Start feature can be incredibly convenient in certain situations. For instance, you can use this feature to warm up your car during winter mornings or cool it down during hot summer afternoons while still inside your home or office. However, note that some states may have laws regulating idle times, so make sure you’re aware of any such regulations before using the Remote Start feature frequently.
“Remote start is a great feature that adds convenience and comfort especially in extreme weather conditions. With remote start, you come out to your vehicle with the interior already at your desired temperature.” -Matt Burns, Sales Manager at Hendrick Autoguard
Disabling Remote Start on BMW X5
If you want to disable the Remote Start feature for any reason, you can do so through the iDrive menu system. Here’s how:
- Go to the main menu and select “Settings”.
- Select “Vehicle Settings” and then “Remote Control”.
- Disable the “Remote Start” option under “Engine Start”.
Note: Disabling the Remote Start feature does not mean your key fob will no longer work; it simply means that you won’t be able to start the engine remotely anymore.
The Remote Start feature on BMW X5 is a useful and convenient feature that can make your life easier during extreme weather conditions or other specific situations. However, it’s important to follow any laws regulating idle times and take necessary precautions while using this feature.
Troubleshooting Common Issues with Remote Start on BMW X5
Key Fob Battery Replacement
The first thing you should check if you are having trouble using remote start on your BMW X5 is the battery in your key fob. A weak or dead battery can cause communication issues between your key fob and vehicle that prevent remote start from working properly.
To replace the battery in your key fob, follow these steps:
- Use a small flathead screwdriver to separate the two halves of your key fob
- Carefully remove the old battery from the compartment
- Insert a new battery (CR2032) with the positive (+) side facing up
- Snap the two halves of your key fob back together
- Test your remote start function again to see if the issue has been resolved
“Replacing the battery in your key fob is a quick and easy way to troubleshoot remote start issues on your BMW X5.” -BMW Blog
Reprogramming the Key Fob
If replacing the battery in your key fob did not solve the problem, the next step is to try reprogramming the key fob. This can reset any communication errors between your key fob and vehicle and resolve the issue.
Here’s how to program your key fob:
- Get into your BMW X5 and close all doors and windows
- Press and hold down the lock button on your key fob for five seconds until the car honks once
- Release the lock button and press it again twice in rapid succession
- The car will honk twice to confirm that the key fob has been programmed successfully
- Test remote start again to see if it now works properly
“Reprogramming your key fob may be necessary to fix communication issues between your vehicle and key fob.” -BMW USA
Resolving Communication Issues between Key Fob and Vehicle
If replacing the battery and reprogramming the key fob did not solve the issue, there may be a deeper problem with communication between your key fob and vehicle. In this case, you should take your BMW X5 to a professional mechanic or dealership for diagnosis.
Common causes of communication issues with remote start on the BMW X5 include faulty ignition switches, damaged wiring, or malfunctioning control modules. A trained mechanic can identify the root cause of the problem and suggest an appropriate solution.
“If all else fails, don’t hesitate to take your BMW X5 in for professional diagnosis and repair.” -CarsGuide
Troubleshooting common issues with remote start on the BMW X5 involves checking the battery in your key fob, reprogramming the key fob, and seeking help from a professional mechanic if necessary. The steps outlined above should help you get your remote start function up and running smoothly once again.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I remote start my BMW X5 with a key?
To remote start your BMW X5 with a key, press and hold the lock button on the key fob. Then press and hold the circular arrow button for about 2 seconds until the car starts.
Is it possible to program a new key fob for remote start on my BMW X5?
Yes, it is possible to program a new key fob for remote start on your BMW X5. You will need to take your car to a BMW dealership or a certified technician who has the equipment to program the new key fob.
What are the limitations of remote start on a BMW X5 with a key?
The main limitation of remote start on a BMW X5 with a key is that the engine will shut off after 15 minutes of idling. Additionally, you cannot activate the climate control system using the key fob.
Can I use my smartphone to remote start my BMW X5 with a key?
No, you cannot use your smartphone to remote start your BMW X5 with a key. Remote start can only be activated using the key fob.
What should I do if my BMW X5 remote start with a key is not working?
If your BMW X5 remote start with a key is not working, check to make sure the key fob battery is not dead. If the battery is fine, try reprogramming the key fob. If the issue persists, take your car to a BMW dealership or a certified technician for further diagnosis.