If you own a BMW, chances are that you love the advanced features and technology that come with it. Amongst these features is the “Reverse Tilt Mirrors” feature which automatically tilts your mirrors whenever you shift to reverse gear.
While this feature might be useful for many, some can find it annoying or even dangerous in certain situations. Maybe you want more control over your car’s mirror settings or just prefer things done the old-fashioned way – manually.
If you’re looking to turn off the Reverse Tilt Mirrors on your BMW, then look no further. In this article, we’ll guide you on how to do it step by step so you can take charge of your mirrors and improve your driving experience.
Whether you have an older or newer model, this guide will work for all BMWs as long as they have the Reverse Tilt Mirror feature. So whether you’re a newbie trying to figure out basic car mechanics or an experienced driver wanting to customize your ride, this article is for you!
“Driving a BMW is already a luxurious experience, but nothing beats having full control over every aspect of your car! “
Quick and Easy Guide to Disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors on Your BMW
If you own a BMW with reverse tilt mirrors, you may have noticed that they can sometimes be more of a nuisance than a convenience. If this is the case, you’re probably wondering how to turn off reverse tilt mirrors on your BMW. Fortunately, disabling them is quick and easy – just follow these simple steps.
Why Disable Reverse Tilt Mirrors?
Reverse tilt mirrors are great when you’re parallel parking or need to get a better view of your surroundings. However, there are times when they can be more trouble than they’re worth. For example, if you accidentally graze a curb while driving, the mirror will tilt downward, making it difficult to see behind you until it returns to its original position. Additionally, some people find the movement of the mirrors distracting, especially in heavy traffic or at night.
Tools You Will Need
- Screwdriver (Phillips head)
- Tape (masking or painter’s tape works best)
Step-by-Step Guide to Disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors
To disable reverse tilt mirrors on your BMW, simply follow these six steps:
- Park your car somewhere safe and level.
- Apply masking or painter’s tape around the edges of both mirrors, so you don’t scratch the surrounding paint while removing them.
- Using a Phillips head screwdriver, carefully remove the two screws on the underside of each mirror housing. Keep these screws in a safe place since you’ll need them again later.
- Gently pull the bottom of each mirror away from the car until it pops off the ball joint. Be sure not to pull too hard or fast as this can damage the wiring inside and cause a bigger problem.
- Unplug the white connector from inside each mirror housing by gently pressing down on the tab with your finger and pulling it free. Be careful not to damage the wires if they feel tight when unplugging.
- Reattach each mirror housing by sliding the ball joint back into its socket and tightening the two screws underneath, being careful not to over-tighten. Peel away the tape and you’re done. Congratulations! You have successfully disabled your BMW’s reverse tilt mirrors!
Testing Your Disabled Reverse Tilt Mirrors
To test that your reverse tilt mirrors have been effectively disabled, you can try reversing close up to an object like a wall or a tree. Once you are within close proximity of the obstacle, slowly turn your steering wheel all the way to one side so that the external mirror closest to the curb tilts downwards; however, in a properly working system, both mirrors should tilt downward when activated. If neither mirror is tilting downwards, then congratulations – your task was successful!
“You can disable this feature via programming at our facility or using a coding cable through remote service.” – BIMMER RETROFIT
Although disabling reverse tilt mirrors on your BMW might seem daunting at first, it’s actually quite simple. Not only does this make driving easier, but it also prevents unnecessary distractions while on the road. Plus, if you ever change your mind, you can always re-enable the function at any time following these steps.
No More Tilting! Learn How to Turn Off the Reverse Tilt Mirrors on Your BMW
What Are Reverse Tilt Mirrors?
If you’re a BMW owner, you might have come across reverse tilt mirrors. This feature automatically tilts down your side mirrors when you are in reverse gear and then back up into their original position once you shift into drive. The idea behind this feature is to give drivers a better view of curbs while parking.
While some drivers find this feature useful, others find it annoying or uncomfortable. In fact, some owners complain that the tilting mirrors create a disorienting effect while driving, and they end up turning off the feature so as not to be distracted by the mirror movement while changing lanes or driving at high speeds.
Disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors on Your BMW
If you’re one of those who prefer not to use this feature, don’t worry! It’s easy to turn it off. Here’s how:
- Start by sitting in the driver’s seat.
- Locate the “Memory” button next to the power window button on the driver door panel.
- Press and hold the memory button until the light located above it turns on and stays lit for several seconds.
- Release the memory button after the light has turned on, and immediately press it again briefly twice.
- You will hear three short chimes indicating that you’ve completed the process successfully.
- Your mirrors will no longer tilt down while in reverse but will still adjust normally with the switch on the door panel.
Congratulations! You’ve just deactivated the reverse tilt mirrors feature on your BMW. In case you want to enable it again, just repeat the procedure above.
Disabling the reverse tilt mirrors is a straightforward process that won’t take more than a few minutes of your time. However, if you’re still having difficulty with the procedure or have any other concerns about your BMW’s features, don’t hesitate to contact your dealership for assistance.
“I turned off my tilting side mirrors because they were too distracting. I’ve almost gotten into an accident several times while driving and changing lanes.” -BMW Owner
Disabling the reverse tilt mirrors option on your BMW is an easy task that doesn’t require a mechanic’s expertise. If the movement of the mirror while reversing affects your driving experience negatively, then feel free to use the steps outlined above to turn it off.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors on Your BMW
Before disabling reverse tilt mirrors, it is important to prepare your car and tools. Follow these preparation steps:
- Firstly, ensure that the engine of your BMW is turned off and the keys are removed from ignition.
- Gather necessary tools such as a small flathead screwdriver or plastic pry tool.
- Park your vehicle in a safe location with plenty of space around it so you can move freely.
Disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors
Step 1: Locate the mirror adjustment switch on the driver side door panel. Identify the button or toggle switch designated for adjusting the mirrors and look for a “down” arrow symbol on it as this may indicate if reverse tilt feature is activated on your car.
Step 2: Insert the flathead screwdriver or pry tool under the switch/button’s lip or edge, then gently lift it up while applying slight pressure on the bottom. Be careful when doing this step not to break the plastic parts underneath, but keep exerting gentle force until you hear a clicking sound. This means that the cover has been released from its locking tabs.
Step 3: Once the cover is loose enough, remove it by gently pulling it towards you. You should now be able to see the wiring harness behind the switch. Carefully unplug it by pressing down on the clips located at both sides of the connector, before pulling it away from the switch.
Step 4:Now locate a white four-pin connector that is plugged into the back of the mirror selector switch. Depress a small clip on it using your finger, then pull down gently to release the connector from its socket.
Step 5: Reinstall the cover by pressing it back onto the locking tabs carefully until you hear it snap in place with an audible click.
“Always make sure that your car is parked in a safe location before working on it.”
Your reverse tilt mirrors feature has now been disabled successfully on your BMW. If you wish to enable it again later follow the same steps, but this time plug the white four-pin connector back into its socket and reinsert the wiring harness back into the switch while ensuring that clips lock securely back into place
If you encounter any problems throughout this procedure or have further questions about disabling reverse tilt mirrors on your BMW, consult a qualified mechanic or contact the nearest authorized dealer for assistance.
Now you know how to disable reverse tilt mirrors on BMW cars by following these straightforward instructions. With your gathered tools and precise actions, decertify the automatic tilting mechanism as per your desire without much hassle. Remembering safety protocols during equipment preparation and procedures ensure longevity and prevent accidents. Stay cautious at all times, and do not hesitate to seek professional help when needed.
Save Time and Effort: Follow These Simple Steps to Turn Off Reverse Tilt Mirrors on Your BMW
If you own a BMW, you probably enjoy the luxury of automatically tilting mirrors when in reverse gear. This feature is commonly known as reverse tilt mirrors. However, sometimes this feature can prove to be more annoying than helpful, especially if you frequently park parallel to the curb or are parking in tight spots.
In such cases, disabling the reverse tilt mirror feature might save you some time, effort, and nerves when adjusting your rearview mirrors every time you put your car in reverse. Here’s how you can do it:
Benefits of Disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors
The reverse tilt mirror feature was introduced to make backing up easier for drivers by providing additional visibility of their surroundings. However, there are certain situations where this feature would not be useful and could even cause inconvenience instead. For instance, when driving along narrow roadways with parked cars close to curbs, having your mirrors adjustable while in reverse gear may cause unexpected confusions or difficult angle adjustments.
In addition to being inconvenient at times, disabling the feature also increases your safety whilst parking in busy streets. Consider that an easy-to-hit side mirror becomes costly, not just in terms of mental stress but financially too!
Easy-to-Follow Guide to Disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors
Disabling the reverse tilt mirror feature on your BMW varies depending on the BMW model and year you possess. Finding out which model you have can help streamline the process of finding instructions for disabling those pesky auto-tilt features.
Here’s a general step-by-step guide to turning off reverse tilt mirrors, though do check the manual for your specific BMW to ensure exactness:
- Turn on your BMW and start the engine.
- Press the “iDrive” menu button, which can be located on your center console behind the gear shift.
- Select “Settings”.
- Select ”Vehicle settings”.
- Select “Mirrors”.
- Select “Reverse Dip Mirrors”.
- Finally, select “Off” to turn off the feature that makes rearview mirrors adjustable when in reverse gear.
- You’ll see a confirmation message once you’ve successfully disabled this feature. Congratulations! Your BMW is now more convenient to park with its various safety features still prevalent.
In case your BMW model isn’t compatible with turning off the Reverse Tilt Mirror function through iDrive instructions, searching for reliable YouTube videos or taking guidance from car forums may help.
“It’s always better to carefully read and follow the guidelines provided in your owner’s manual for disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors. It’s essential to know what models support this type of adjustment beforehand as it’s not available across all models,” says an article from autoguide.com.
Taking time to find out how to disable Reverse Tilt Mirror features on your BMW will provide favorable results – easier parking and less stress!
Eliminate the Hassle of Reverse Tilt Mirrors with These Easy-to-Follow Instructions for Your BMW
BMW cars come equipped with reverse tilt mirrors that automatically adjust when the car is put in reverse gear, providing a better view of the surroundings. However, this feature can be helpful to some drivers but can be quite a hassle to others, especially those who regularly use their side mirrors while parking.
In such cases, turning off the reverse tilt mirror option can prove to be highly beneficial. In this article, we will discuss how you can turn off reverse tilt mirrors on your BMW easily and quickly by following these simple instructions.
Reasons to Disable Reverse Tilt Mirrors
The reverse tilt mirror feature in BMW cars may not always be ideal for all drivers. Here are a few reasons why:
- The automatic adjustment feature can cause confusion or distraction for some drivers
- The constant motion of the mirrors can affect driver focus and strain eyesight.
- It’s easier and quicker to adjust manually each time rather than wait for the motorized adjustment to settle again after shifting from reversing back to Drive mode
If you resonate with any of these reasons, then it’s worth considering disabling the reverse tilt mirror option for safety purposes.
Instructions for Disabling Reverse Tilt Mirrors on Your BMW
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to disable the reverse tilt mirror function on your BMW:
- Start by putting the vehicle key into the ignition slot.
- Next, turn the car on without starting the engine; ensure that the electronics inside the car are enabled at this point.
- Adjust the side mirrors to the desired position manually.
- Press the unlocking button on your key fob, and hold it down for a few seconds until the side mirrors fold inwards. Hold the button down until the mirrors have stopped moving completely.
- Your reverse tilt mirror feature is now disabled.
If you experience any issues while attempting to turn off the reverse tilt mirrors on your BMW, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure that all electronic features inside the car (e.g., headlights) are turned OFF before starting the process.
- In case the side mirrors don’t move after pressing the unlock button, check if there’s an issue with your master window switch or door lock.
- For newer models of BMW vehicles, disabling the reverse tilt function may differ per model type; refer to your user manual to verify instructions.
Reversing the Process
If you decide in the future that you prefer having the reverse tilt mirror option enabled again, reversing the procedure is quite simple:
- Start by putting the vehicle key into the ignition slot.
- Next, turn the car on without starting the engine; ensure electronics inside the car are enabled at this point.
- Adjust the side mirrors to the desired position manually.
- Press the “unlock” button on your keyfob and hold it down for a few seconds till the side mirrors bounce out to their previous positions when you reversed. Keep holding the button-down. Stop holding down the button when the car’s internal functions begin ticking over or when they seem complete.
- After the car’s functions are restored, test out the camera and side mirrors to ensure that everything has returned back to default.
Turning off or on reverse tilt mirrors in your BMW is a quick and straightforward process that can make a significant difference for those who don’t have much use for this feature. Be sure to check your vehicle owner’s manual before starting any electrical work yourself, as doing so may void your warranty. If you’re unsure of how to proceed with disabling this option, seek advice from certified auto technicians.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I permanently turn off the reverse tilt function on my BMW’s mirrors?
Yes, you can permanently turn off the reverse tilt function on your BMW’s mirrors by disabling the feature through the iDrive system or adjusting the mirrors and holding the adjustment button to save the new settings. Once disabled, the mirrors will remain in the position you set them in, even when the vehicle is put into reverse gear. This can be helpful for those who prefer a consistent view of their surroundings while driving.
Is it possible to change the mirror settings to disable the reverse tilt function on my BMW?
Yes, it is possible to change the mirror settings to disable the reverse tilt function on your BMW. You can do this through the iDrive system or by adjusting the mirrors and holding the adjustment button to save the new settings. Once changed, the mirrors will no longer tilt downwards when the vehicle is put into reverse gear, allowing for a consistent view of the surroundings. Refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual or contact a BMW dealership for more information on how to disable this feature.